Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Taal Volcano National Park - The Brighter Days

I was lucky enough to have visited Taal lake, the pulo (island) and its neighboring towns so many times that it has now become a ‘usual place’ for me.  From a casual weekend getaway in Talisay town coupled with an easy hike to view the ‘island within a lake within an island within a lake’, to an easy hiking trip on Mt Maculot (which is part of the Taal Volcano National Park), or the countless overnights in some hotels along Tagaytay (caldera) ridge;

And once in a while – a more serious lake activity ranging from boat rescue training or race event, a +2-hour kayak visiting the innumerable fish pens, a topper or hobie cat sailing course, and even a grueling 35km Taal island kayak circumnavigation. 
Rescue Regatta event - using plywood 'bahangka' for the race (myself standing, doing final checks before the whistle-start).  At Talisay town (north of the lake)

Although I’ve “seen” Taal in its nastiest mood – particularly old black-and-white photos displayed in Taal Hotel (Tagaytay), I couldn’t say that I’ve really seen her violent side.  Until now, or perhaps more on the days to come.

While it’s temporarily difficult to see the true beauty of Taal, and just to peel away from the sobering sights of ‘death and destruction’, it may be a good time to reminisce the good old days.


Taal lake is home to unique species and few worth mentioning are – first, the only freshwater sardine which we call Tawilis (which by the way is endangered due to Tilapia/Carp farming) and the only freshwater sea snake.  With its very deep lake, who knew what other undiscovered species were out there.  Here’s my old post on Taal lake’s hidden species.

By road, Talisay town – the closest shore town from Makati, is only about 70km.  It was my usual jump-off or base for any lake activity.  It offered good to expensive accommodations, and very cheap Tilapia fishes were sold along the main road.

One of my major events here was the kayak circumnavigation where my team from UP Mountaineers paddled for 7 hours, covering 35km from Talisay, around the volcano island, and back.  Here’s that story.

We donated some 14 boxes of supplies for the island school.



There’s also that one time when we did a run-walk up the steep hill from Talisay to Tagaytay, while carrying 10kg of weight.  More for fun than challenge as we realized that it was not as difficult as it should be.  Here’s that brief story.

My other big event here was the Rescue Regatta which I organized with the UP Mountaineers Search and Rescue group.  One memorable activity was the use of our ‘Bahangka’ boats – emergency urban boat made from plywood, for the fun race. 

There was a time that I also kayaked with Queenie Padilla and Howie Severino – an awareness campaign organized by PUSOD NGO.  The funny part was that, I didn’t know Queenie back then and was surprised to see screaming fans while we were paddling the Pansipit river.  Here's a brief article
Joke time, with Howie and Queenie

At Pansipit river - this is the water exit to Balayan Bay (southwest of the lake).

There are other good memories but enough to say and conclude – that Taal was, and would still be a wondrous place for me.  
I dare say that it’s perhaps 99% beautiful – and we’re only seeing its 1% ‘ugly’ side.  And just like before, Taal – and the communities around it will recover.  
And in a few months’ time – Taal would be back to its gorgeous and peaceful form.


Photo from Laurel town showing endless fish pens. I was scouting the area for the kayak circumnavigation trip.

On the shores of Laurel town (west side of the lake)

I've paddled this Pansipit river, but I took this shot as part of yet another recon for a plan to traverse the lake, and exit the river to Balayan bay via Lemery. (It didn't push through) 

I've sailed the Talisay side of the lake, as part of my sailing course initially just using 1-sail Topper boat, then followed by a bigger hobie cat.
My Rescue team doing inflatable boat training with Greenpeace and Navy Seals (I believe in Agoncillo area)
My team's WASAR training in Alitagtag area (lake's south side)
At Mt Maculot's Rockies with my then IT office mates. Maculot is part of the Taal park, and Rockies is part of the caldera.  Behind us is Taal lake (Cuenca, southeast of the lake).  Maculot is clearly visible from both Tagaytay ridge and Talisay shore.
My hike group mostly from office, visiting the famed 'smallest volcano' of the world.  This lake is located within the Taal island itself. 

No comments: